Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day and Funes the Memorious

I made it through the holiday weekend without redundancy. This is a covert way of saying I had no M and Ms from my mother’s shop for greedy children. Since the M in M and Ms is doubled, it is redundant and I am able to escape it on syntax alone. Elements of Style, man. Elements of Style. (This is to be spoken as David Clennon playing Palmer in John Carpenter’s The Thing: "Chariots of the gods, man. Chariots of the gods.")

Interestingly enough, my three evil nephews have a different approach. They consider M and Ms, or more properly, the name M and Ms, to be an oxymoron! In a mind-numbing display, they pointed out my mistake. This had been prefaced by a rather fast paced discussion of Ozzie and Harriet and its connection with Umberto Eco’s literature. “…the symbolism of Darby and Doc Williams…” “…Joe Randolph’s despair…” “…and everyone knows that it was Thorny!”
“Was what?” I said.
“What was what?”, nephew #3 inquired with the face of an angel.
“What was Thorny…don’t you mean who played Thorny?”, I replied.
“No…The Name of the Rose!…it was Thorny.”

This was followed by a laughter that you might expect would be the immediate prelude to a particularly unpleasant end of the world as we know it, with Hieronymus Bosch as the guy recording it on video. It was their opinion that in the nanosecond between the utterance of the first M and the second M, the atoms comprising the Ms were disentangled – across light years – and they became contraries.
For them saying M and Ms was like saying “Jumbo shrimp”.

At this juncture, it was an exquisitely small step to Jorge Luis Borges' story Funes the Memorious. Instead of being merely "M", the first M received the new name “Lavande de Valensole” and the second M “Ferris Buehler’s Day Off”. At this time, my mother put on her apron to prepare dinner (the M in “mother” becoming “Mystery Clock”) and gently shooed us from the summer kitchen with a kindly “retro, daimones!”
--

4 comments:

kattbanjo said...

Never thought about m&m's being a an oxymoron. See, I always think i am pretty smart and then I read your blog and feel kinda stoooopid! BTW, I happen to love Hieronymous Bosch! One of my faves!!His work moves me. Reminds me of Clive Barker novels. Am I totally crazy?

your catacuracha

Montag said...

That's great! I forgot about Clive Barker.
I love parts of his novels...I dont think there is one that I like entirely.
My favorite is CABAL wherein the description of Midian and its inhabitants is filled with an exuberant miasma of decay.
In thinking of it now, my head is filled with other connectors between Barker and Poe, Jean Cocteau, early Police and Sting videos...

As far as loving Bosch and Barker, our ancestors took God as a whole: 1)awesome and 2)"awful" in the sense of 1) awe-inspiring and 2) terrifying.
We find this too hard to swallow and we break up our experiences. We never seem to mix the two.
So we have 1)on Sunday in Church and 2) in the Barker novels and horror flicks.

Thanks.

I believe you are my sole reader...or at least the sole commentator.

Interesting.

But you're right about M&Ms and oxymorons...only some one as diabolical as my nephews could have come up with that!

kattbanjo said...

SO, me being your sole reader, blessing or curse? You decide!Of course, if you feel I am "dumbing down" your site, I will stop. I have a sentimental attachment for you due to your being my first commenter! How did you find me anyway? We are not in same circles as far as content, mine is all fluff and nonsense.....My faves by Clive are Coldheart Canyon and Everville. I love anything ever created by Sting. And cocteau is another fave.
your catacuracha

Montag said...

Dear catacuracha,
As it happens, I have heard from some other readers, a lady Anna and Pope Benedict both dropped a line, saying they had hitherto been too busy.

I discovered your site one day by finishing looking at mine, clicking that little "go to another blog" thingey on the upper right and there you were.
You are not there now, so there was an element of randomicity in it.
As I mentioned, I liked your writing.
I read a lot.
However, the writing I do not like I stop reading very quickly.

You have the ability to write about everyday things and you keep them brief and interesting.
It reminds me of an author Mark Dunn and his book "Welcome to Higby". There is a lot of difference, but also a lot of what I sense as similarity.

(I was just at your site. You are aware, I hope, that not only your small town, but the entire county wherein you live is reading your site...talk about having fodder to chew on.)

There are some sites I read because I like the way they structure their writing. They do not have anything interesting to say, but I like the structure so much that that becomes the point of interest.

As far as "dumbing down", I have to confess that I write pretty much the same way I talk. If I were to have a conversation with you, I would quote the same things, speak the same way.

I do not explain things I refer to because then the writing would no longer be brief. The explanation would be longer than the exposition.
I also feel that it is insulting to assume someone is not familiar with a reference, so I do not stop; I just ramble on.

So this is me.
I have been to sites that are pretty ethereal and intense, but I do not get the sense that those people talk that way in their everyday lives. It is more their Sunday-go-to-meeting persona.

Needless to say, a lot of people sincerely ask themselves if they really, really want to undergo conversation with me.
They often ask for a second opinion.
Over the 3 day Memorial Day weekend, you could see the beads of sweat on the foreheads of my extended family as they sat at the dinner table, squirming to extricate themselves.

This was one of the reasons I started the blog.

Anyhow, I can walk out into the street where I live and be pretty sure that the first 100 people will never have heard of Jean Cocteau.
This is no big deal.
But those same 100 people will then make no effort to find out anything about this Jean Cocteau.
That's the deal.

By the way, your insomnia is probably connected to your new interest in Writing the blog.

Writing should come with a warning label!