Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Holocaust

So I am reading Elie Wiesel. And I agree with him. (I have been criticized (attacked?) for things I have said about Israel. That is too bad. Never again will I describe myself as a friend of so-and-so or such-and-such. All Humanity will eventually fail your inflated vision of them. In my youth, I received only one side of the Middle East conflict, resulting in a vision of Israel as the Land of Milk and Honey and a paradise on earth. So I find it isn't. Then I say it isn't. Criticize away, fellows!) Anyway, I'm reading Elie Wiesel about the Holocaust. Mr. Wiesel states that Auschwitz is as important as Sinai. He see the Holocaust as a theological event. I would agree, since I see many things as theological events. The point about the Holocaust is that it leads directly to the state of Israel and this leads to the present state of affairs. The theological event may not have come to a close. Or, if the Holocaust is to be defined as having come to a close in the 1940's, then what theological occurence do we view today? God is not sleeping. What is it we see today? What is the theology behind the present day's actions? What theological event shall we call the Diaspora of the Palestinians from their homelands? The historian Amos Funkelstein once wrote, "...that the extermination of the Jews of Europe ought to arrest the attention of theologians seems obvious. " The extermination of any and all peoples arrests the attention, whether they be Jews or Palestinians. This seems obvious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST, CONGRATULATIONS!!!
IN SPAIN WE HAVE A SAYING SIMILAR
TO THIS: "THE OBVIOUS, IS MOST OF THE TIMES THE HARDEST THING TO BE UNDERSTOOD".
KIND REGARDS.