Search This Blog

Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Conflicting Of Diamonds

I saw an ad for a cheesy jewelry store today. The ad said "conflict free diamonds". What could that be?, I wondered. Does that mean that they are not "hot" - as they say in the underworld; that they are not "filthy lucre" from a "heist" or "jewelry-jacking" somewhere? Does it mean that if I were a potential customer for diamonds - heaven forfend - in my innocence I may end up in a disputatious situation over who has legitimate title to bling-bling? When I was much younger, every now and then the "Hot Man" used to drive into the yard at work and open up his trunk to display his wares. However, there were no diamonds there; only tools. What's the big deal about diamonds, anyway? I mean, am I nothing but a quarrelsome jackdaw who decorates his nest with bits of colored cellophane and shiny aluminium? I remember no hypnotic interest in sparkling baubles. I mean, even back when those trinkets were pulled from the bowels of the earth by slave labor I could hardly work up a show of interest in them. So...long story even longer, I found out what are Diamonds of Conflict, or Diamants du Conflit as the French foppishly call them. Not impressed. Now surely you'd think that diamonds that had a little shady past, like a couple hundred people slaughtered, might be right up my alley. No, thank you. And the "good", conflict-free diamonds are even more uninteresting.

No comments: