Search This Blog

Monday, December 18, 2006

The Jesus Funk-a-Delics

This is a Christian Rock group.
I must say that the only footprint they make in the world that I like is their name. I like the name. I mean, I think it would be a great game to create religious music group names:  Jesus and the Temptations, Nirvana ( done already?),  St. Swithin's Day Massacre.

O.K. Not as much fun as I thought. I remember once having a discussion with an insurance agent who was an Evangelical. He had already deliberately misled me a number of times into ways of business which were to his advantage more than mine, but no harm in talking to him about other things. Everybody has their weakness, his was cheating people insurance-wise. He took to it as his vocation from God. He was a mystery of the everyday world.
He thought there could be no such thing as Christian Rock music. A Christian Rock group was a contradiction and should not and could not exist. He actually referred to Plato and his musings on what types of music be allowed in The Republic.
Rock was music that appealed to something essentially centered above the knees and below the waist - a zone which should be bereft of music, according to him. He mixed his Shakespeare and said music ought to knit the ravelled sleeve of care. Well, there should be no knitting of sleeves ( wink!) in the demilitarized zone!
Sleeve! Hah! The talk went on in this desultory yet alarming way for a few more minutes before, mercifully, the remains of the day called to us and we parted.
--

No comments: