Search This Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Santa's New Shtick: Borgesian Bloopers

I pondered, weak and weary, over many a volume of unsent email in re : "desert island" games previously posted which no one wanted to play. Therefore, I propose a new game: "What's that guy's name?" -"The actor's name or the name of his character?" "The actor...I should remember him" -(silence) "Dunno."



O.K. That title is a bit long. Something like remembering things the way I do. I do not know how best to say it. Therefore, I shall give an example: (part 1 the Set Up ) " I grow old, I grow old..." (part 2 the Sting ) " I shall wear my trousers bottoms like Fezziwig."
I know you will say that a game like this is best played with snobs who think they know everything, and they will automatically correct your faulty-towers manner of quotation. That is part of its charm. And it has something to do with quotes, memory, truth...hmmm.

I have run this by my nephews and they came up with:
(part 1) "There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll never see it."
(part 2) "I'm just fortunate that now I have an audience of people on the show who don't have to pretend they have smell-o-vision." combining the President and Emeril Lagasse ( which rhymes in a cock-eared way with 'legacy') and creates a new reality of rememebered things. (They wanted to name the game 'bushWHACKERS' tm, but I thought this was (1) disrespectful, and (2) would center the game on a chance Presidential mutation.)
AH-HA! That's it. New Realities. Gardens of forking paths and all things Bright and Bellyful...remember the memorious! I shall call it, here on Earth as well as on Tlon and Uqbar, BORGESIAN BLOOPERS. Of course, 'borgesian' is in memory of Jorge L. Borges and 'bloopers' is in memory of good old Dick Blooper. ( "Is he dead yet?" " Who? Blooper or his character?......" )
--

No comments: