Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Why I Hate Ayn Rand

I got up in the middle of the night, scuffed my way into the kitchen, and stumbled across an article about the Super Bowl. http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=4895 The Joy of Football: The Super Bowl Offers a Too-Rare Celebration of Goal-Achievement To make it even better, the author is described: Thomas A. Bowden, author of The Enemies of Christopher Columbus, is a writer for the Ayn Rand Institute. The Institute promotes Objectivism, the philosophy of Ayn Rand, author of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. Thomas A. Bowden practices law in Baltimore, Maryland. My mouth watered as I read, checking the blades of my mental scalpels to whet them to unusual acuity. Unfortunately, the article is rather brilliant. Blast! Oh, God of my fathers, that my opponents should be brilliant, and my friends be such dullards! Note well the following paragraph ( if you are happy enough to read th'article): Sports offer as close to a universal value language as we have left. The sense of brotherhood that sports fans feel makes it possible for complete strangers to find themselves happily discussing the latest exploits (or ruefully noting the recent failures) of their favorite team. It is my sad observation that Religion by its very nature is intended to be that universal language of values. And it has abdicated its position to Sports. Extremely interesting from my point of view. We will hear more of this. I shall save Mr. Bowden's article and ponder it. Oh, and by the way, I do not hate Ms. Rand, God bless her soul. (It was all a subterfuge, using the name of a popular icon to get you, the readers, into my gingerbread Blog. Tomorrow I shall entitle ' Why I Hate Stuart Erwin.' )

No comments: