Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2007

Shall I Wear My Suetonius Today?

Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Which hat will it be? Suetonius or Tacitus? Which historian of the Roman Empire shall I emulate? David Geffen has said recently about Senator Obama: "...he's not from the Bush royal family or the Clinton royal family..." This, of course, refers to the interesting fact that since 1988, the US voters ( aided and abetted by the Supreme Court ) have only elected members of the said families to the Presidency, and have a chance to do so again. My, My. It has worked out so well, too. If we construe George W. Bush as Caligula, Little Boots, son of a war-time emperor, then who will Ms. Clinton be? It would be shameful to merely throw out the name of Agrippina, and it would not be to the point. Ms. Clinton will be Claudius. After her comes Nero.

No comments: