Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Spirit Of Bipartisanship...

...is no good whatsoever if those with whom you associate are crooks, bums, fools, and dotards. I should know. I have indicated at another place and another time that the incessant calls for bipartisanship are empty. Know what's right, know what's the best way to get it, and do it. I append: The Greanville Journal http://www.bestcyrano.org/cyrano/?p=332#more-332 ...I like to remind people who long for bipartisanship that FDR’s drive to create Social Security was as divisive as Bush’s attempt to dismantle it. And we got Social Security because FDR wasn’t afraid of division. In his great Madison Square Garden speech, he declared of the forces of “organized money”: “Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred.” The Conscience of a Liberal (W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. Copyright © 2007 by Paul Krugman.) If the fight is right and your opponents push you to it, don't be afraid of it. (Also, don't provoke and unfair and illegal fight.)

No comments: