Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

Expressions Which Should Not Be Seen In Public

Not at all....unless, of course, you are reading the writing of Donald Goines or Charles Bukowski. I have always been amazed how expressions which in my youth were quite raw, close to the bone, and scintillating with sexual innuendo, have been transformed into the language of the drawing room... or the polite conversation in the presence of women and men ... or to have them land in the front room from cable TV. I was reading Greg Saunders in The Huffington Post, as is my usual regimen when I open the BBC after a slow news day and everything is yawns, and I came across an expression I don't think I have ever heard in mixed company: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-saunders/i-refuse-to-join-any-clu_b_94127.html "I Refuse to Join any Club That Would Have Me as a Member" Posted March 30, 2008 05:12 PM (EST) ...let me once again "reject and denounce" (to quote Obama) the implication that the world has been waiting to relive the mainstream media, scandal-of-the-week circlejerk of the Clinton years ... "Circlejerk"? I wonder, were I to write to their site a comment containing such words, would my comments not be surpressed? Yet they throw this in my face. (No...I take that back...one must tred carefully here, lest one fall into slapstick comedy.) Some of these expressions did not make the transition from the past of the male locker room to the present of the linguistic bomb on the evening TV. Recently, I asked someone if they intended to eat their vegetables without being cooked. "Eat it raw...?" was the expression. That one stayed back in the 60's, thank heavens. Now I know how my grandmother felt when I used to open my mouth.

No comments: