Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I Love America

Yes I do. Do I love Andrew Jackson winning at New Orleans. Yep! Do I love Andrew Jackson stealing Indian lands and driving them forth into the wilderness? Err....probably...not. Do I love winning World War II and all the sacrifice that was made to win it? Yep! Do I love the present time when we will not even sacrifice for a war, but will lower taxes and pay for it on the grandkids' tab? Do I love how, during the oil embrago of the seventies, we all complained about the 55 mph speed limit, but we pretty much observed it and drove down demand? And non-essential lights were turned off and Christmas became dark? We missed it, but we all worked together. Do I love how at the present we let ourselves fall into the SUV trap, customers and auto producers alike, and now will not reduce our speed for any reason? Do I love how America welcomed my ancestors? Yep! If my ancestors had been grievously wronged, would I love that aspect of America? Doubt it. There are many Americas within the notion of "America". I can say quite easily and sincerely that I love America for (1) the genius of the Founding Fathers, and (2) despise America for lynchings. And I can go on and on like this. So can you. Let us not do so and give the pretense of acting as if we were adults for the time being.

No comments: