Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Reverend Mr. Beebe And The BBC

If people ask me whence I got some tidbit of news, I respond "The Reverend Mr. Beebe". This drives She-who-must-be-obeyed crazy. She says no wonder people cross over to the other side of the street when they spot me sauntering towards them. They are afraid I shall speak and say that type of thing. I suppose she is right. However, the provenance of the expression is: I read the BBC every morning as my first read. Anything else comes after the BBC. I fondly refer to the BBC as The Beeb I like the actor Simon Callow (who doesn't?) and he was in Merchant/Ivory's A Room With A View, playing the Reverend Mr. Beebe. (Need I add that Beebe sounds the same as Beeb?) So, it just all makes sense to me. Firsly, it establishes a bond of friendship between similarly minded individuals (bloody few), and causes hearty laughter (and funny looks). Anyway, I like it. It takes the humdrum of the everyday and creates Icons and Symbols and new connections which lift it at least to the level of Opera Buffa, if not something more. Having said opera buffa, I should now add a reference to Gianni Schicchi, but even I know that would be over the top. PS. However, "O mio babino caro" comes from Gianni and was in Room.

No comments: