Search This Blog

Monday, May 05, 2008

The Gas Tax Scheme

I was at my parents yesterday. They also find the idea of suspending the gas tax for the summer to be a nonsensical plan. Furthermore, it is an insult. It does not reqire an elitist economist to realize now, after a number of years of rising gas prices here, that the dropping of the tax will lead to increased use which will lead to increased demand which will lead to...pretty much the same bleeding price!

It is just more of the Bush "Don't bother your pretty little heads about it. Just go to the mall and shop." It is more smoke and mirrors. The true elitists are those in office. They make every effort to distract the public's gaze from real issues and focus it on trivia, whether it be nonsense gas tax holidays, the Reverend Jeremiah Wright as Obama's eminence grise, McCain's...well, I don't seem to be aware of anything about McCain, substantive or vacuous. I'm voting New Dem!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very worried about gas prices and the economy in general.


Explain to me why, with more oil in south america than all the middle east, WHY are we dependent on Arabian oil??

You seem to be intelligent enough to explain this to me.

Montag said...

Wow! This is a set-up.
I immediately disclaim intelligence of any sort. She-who-must-be-obeyed will gladly provide corroboration on this.

1) we have long standing alliances with certain middle eastern countries, e.g., Saudi Arabia.
2) we have invaded others and feel we have to use their oil, e.g.,aw...you know.
3)we can't get along with Hugo Chavez,so oil has its political side. It is not just oil.

Lastly, since oil has its political side, people will talk about oil and try to persuade other people one way or another.
Exactly how much oil is in South America and exactly how cheap it is to produce it may not be quite clear yet.

By writing this, I discover how little I know about the matter.

More and more I find myself saying things like I wish I lived in an Amish community.

Anonymous said...

check into the oil situation in south america....it's VERY interesting..

hope things are well by the way!!

Montag said...

Yes. Things are pretty good.

Speaking of oil, on the way home tonight I noticed that the price of gasoline jumped 20 cents per gallon today, and I had not heard anything on the news about it yet.
It was $3.85 per gallon.

I have been snooping around oil and will check into South America and see what's happening.
I am now reading (just before writing this) a blog called "Of Two Minds" http://www.oftwominds.com/blog.html
but he does not write exclusively of oil.

I was talking to an Egyptian fellow today who happens to be Orthodox Christian (!) and he was talking about St. John Chrysostom...and wouldn't you know I thought of a balloon-shaped bird called Chrysippus...and could not remember where that notion came from.

It eventually came to me.