Search This Blog

Friday, May 30, 2008

Yassir...A Cup Of The Black, Please.

Dunking Doughnuts [ better known as "Dunkin' (sic) Donuts (sic) ] has pulled an advertisement of Rachel Ray hawking java. Apparently eagle-eyed Michelle Malkin spotted the scarf as being a kaffiya, it reminded her of Yassir Arafat, and she went ballistic. Something about terrorist chic. It was all too funny. I grabbed my cell phone to call a friend and let them know the news from the Advertising Front of the War on Terror...but only got as far as punching in the exchange when it dawned on me that I was using "Arabic" numerals!! I stopped. This was nonsense. Surely it was not terrorist chic to use Arabic numerals...or was it? Would I be giving aid and comfort to the enemy? I tried again. No luck. I tried imagining the numbers as Roman numerals... I-( II IV VIII) VIII V III- but I knew it was a sham. I spent the evening burning every copy of the works of Aristotle which had not been preserved in the Greek, but which we only have through the intermediary of Arabic translation. A bright fire it made.

No comments: