Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Holy Bling

I saw a photo of my favorite right wing harridan wearing a dress as black as Satan's cummerbund, accessorized with a glittering, silver-bullet-ish cross, pendant from a necklace and nestling on her bosom. I do not recall if I have written about my opinion of religious symbols used as jewelry, or "bling" ( a hip-hop term which strikes me as very approporiate ). I am endlessly offended by it. If jewelry is intended to accent the beauty of a lady, I fail to see how reminding me of my callow days as a young cathecumen at the gates of this or that theology adds to the experience. I can think of nothing but Edward Gibbon writing of the green grocers in Constantinople arguing whether the three of the triune deity were co-substantial, and this in the midst of the main market place, screaming to be heard against the sound of a thousand other mongers and drovers. I mean that...it is not at all right place at the right time type of thing. I have seen Christian, Muslim, and Buddhist, Hindu, and Kabbala...and my thoughts do not, I repeat "Not!", turn to those spiritual realms when I espy a sacred symbol perched perilously above that "chasm" of exquisite design. These twain sights normally draw the eye of the males of the clan, but we shall now impress the two with God's imprimatur, almost bloody demanding an intense scrutiny and frame of mind appropriate to being led into a wilderness and esconced upon a high place, while below our feet the glories of the kingdoms of the Earth were spread out upon a carpet. And then we are tasked and tested by the temptations of our starved eyes. If people wish to send a religious message, bumper stickers are the correct medium. I think something along the lines "My God is a honor student at End Of Times High". I have my own bumper stickers, magnetic to allow for a quick change. I designed them to reflect my own pusillanimous nature. My Buddhist bumper sticker says: (in Spanish....I lack the tilde to place over the first "N" in "manana".)
"NIRVANA MANANA"

No comments: