Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Test

I have been roundly criticized for negativity. I deserved it. I mean, even the prophet Jeremiah must have had some upbeat, off the hook moments, right? Surely the creator of the "jeremiad" could chill, be lite, get out of peoples' faces for a while? Yes, indeed. It must be so. Even though we have not yet archaeologued the ancient tome "Jokes from Jeremiah", it is only a matter of time. Thus, I propose a test to see whether my vision is fatally skewed to the dark side: "In the upcoming presidential election, if Race becomes a blatant, raucous, divisive issue, then I am right and you are wrong." The "you" here being the Pollyannas who want me to josh around more. I would really like to be more upbeat. I really would. Now the point of the Test is this: if Race division prevails, it implies we have lost control of ourselves hook, line, and sinker; the dark side has popped up and we may as well be orc legions of the Dark Lord. If it does not, we still are what we are, but we are striving for self-control and for the Good. In short, we are indeed modern day heroes!

No comments: