Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Mad Men

I had to tell someone the story of episode 2, second season of "Mad Men". They had missed it and mistakenly asked me for the details, not knowing how I remember names. So I tell the story. There are frequent questions from the baffled about the exact identity of the characters. For example, Don Draper's wife, Betty is portrayed by an actress named January Jones. This will never do, and I recast everything so that I may refer to the actress/character by the name January Johnson. This is all due to the fact that the only TV personnage I have hitherto known with a mensural (month-ish) name was July Johnson from "Lonesome Dove". Chris Cooper portrayed Sheriff Johnson and Barry Corbin was Roscoe Brown, the deputy. Thus, I do not merely say January Johnson, but I must say "Jan-youuu-wary Johnson" in much the same way poor ol' Roscoe Brown referred to Jooooo-ly Johnson. This is not at all bad, for the name "January" does indeed give it all away to my auditor. For Peter Campbell, however, I say "That guy that used to sorta hang around Angel...sometimes".

No comments: