Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

God Never Defaults

The inflationary results of propping up the monetary system will take our breath away, but its full intensity is not yet here. Some people have wondered why a shop with the name "God" in the title, such as mine, would stoop to discuss things like economics and politics. If there is no sand nearby in which to write the most private sins of my interlocutors, I just smile a cheery smile and say "What,ho! Time for tea. " and saunter off, leaving them wondering why they thought me worth talking to in the first place.

 Levine once asked me if God talked to me. He had read one of my posts, and he said it sounded as if I thought I had a cozy relationship with His Nibs. So I laughed. But I also said that God does not talk. God inspires. One either is in touch with the inspiration, and thus -in a sense- on the same wave length, or one is not.

Words and logic, expectations and ambitions, hungers and passions are all physical-symbolic structures ( some are "mythic" in my sense ) which interfere with the intuition of inspiration.  

The Experience Of the Divine is a basic and essential human function, such as language and music. It is not reducible to some other human experience. God is not joy nor suffering, not words, not singing, not dreaming... We may talk about basketball, but that does not make the experience of basketball somehow reducible to talking and language. Similarly, the Divine is not reducible to words and logic, or songs, or smiles, or frowns, or anything else.

I have seen and heard that our concept or acquaintance of God came from our experience of awe or fear or wonder at (pick one): the world, the universe, the starry night...etc. Pure hogwash. The emotion of awe is what it is. It is not God.  
God is one and alone. Our experience of God is a primitive function of humanity which is not reducible to any other human function: it stands alone.

When one is inspired, one does not fall into a dreamy reverie; that is a comatose or fugue state. One does not smile obsessively and gush platitudes; that is enthusiasm. One does not speak in tongues; that is narcotic-like orgy of the language areas of the brain.
If one is inspired, one is attune to all that is, although one need not be aware of all that is; Good heavens, that is an LSD phenomenon. I do not fault LSD visions, nor do I recommend them. They are not God. Timothy Leary to the contrary. They are just exactly what they are.

Every time we experience something new and forceful, bingo: it's God, sure enough!
No it isn't. If you ever read Killing the Buddha, you know the story is that a young monk in training ran across the Lord Buddha walking down the road. He ran back to his teacher with this incredible story. The teacher handed him a sword, saying "Kill the Buddha." The point of this being that if you happen to come across the Lord Buddha walking down the road, it is NOT the Lord Buddha.
Or if you think Jesus Christ plops down next to you in Church, you may safely bet it is not the Lord Jesus.  

God is not that which you conceive. God is not that which you cannot conceive. Rather God stands outside of any conceptual system: beyond any thesis and antithesis; God stands outside any non-conceptual system. If you think God to be a wonderful, bearded, old softy who loves children, He sends a hurricane. If you think God is a nasty old bugger, He sends you a mitzvah. Go figure.

--

3 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

This is inspiring, Montag. But God does talk, or could perhaps, or might. And wasn't he the one who said "I am the I am"?

Unknown said...

I had nice things to say about you in response to this post. I cannot talk to my daughter about God. I don't think she believes in God, nor her husband. But she does read my blog . . .

Montag said...

Hey, thanks.
Reading The Signs, I am thinking about what you wrote and will write about it after I return from my parents this weekend. They refuse to entertain computers in their house.

Baysage, thank you.
It has been a quite a week.
I had been elected to the board of the Condo Association, and took on the role of secretary.
Now everyone tends to think "Secretary? That's not much of an important job."

Hah!
Josef Stalin was the general secretary of the Communist Party!