Search This Blog

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fast In Sin, Come On In

The word "fast" in the title means "steadfast" or "firm". It is my homage to Andre Lenoge this morning.

I am in mind of Mr. Lenoge - a character from the universe of Stephen King - because I have talked to a gentleman who stated, quite openly and for all the world too see and with the sure conviction of the dim-witted, that he admired George W. Bush's stubbornness. I looked at him for a bit, rather as if he were standing there 4 sheets to the wind, unbuttoned or unzipped, shirt flap falling through a vent improperly opened to public view, perhaps also as if he were examining his nasal interior - in short, I looked at him with disgust, wondering whether to reply the long way or the short way.

 I decided to do both. I said briefly, " I admire Adolf Hitler, for even as Berlin lay levelled and burnt about him, his stubbornness did not let him admit defeat." I would like to say that I let this settle in for a while. However, I have found that sayings like that do not really settle in; they rather bounce off the intended target, and roll off in smaller and smaller rebounds towards some corner of the locker room. One is left in the "paint of uncertainty", as it were ( using all basketball imagery here!!), wondering if one should say, "Get it?" So I added, "Stubbornness in defense of the indefensible is not a virtue." (I realize this pithy saying is hardly "long" or lengthy, but we shall pretend it is so for the present.) Since this combined my moral superiority with a quasi-Barry Goldwaterism, I felt as if it were time for a victory tea from the Grace Tea Company, NY, NY.
--

No comments: