Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

In Re Name Change

I was wondering about changing the title of the Blog.

Certainly the sub-title has outlived any possible justification for me not pulling the plug on its hapless life. I mean, what could I have been thinking? I haven't done anything quite so stupid, since I took up with my relatives on familiar terms those many, many years ago. So, there it is.

Yet there is the matter of God. His name is on the masthead, so to speak, and he may want to put an oar into this little regatta of change. So I asked Him.
I interrupted Him as He was writing. He gave me one of those looks that said reams and reams of things you really did not want to know. It was one of those royal plural-raised-eyebrow-exasperated-withering-the-winter-wheat-harvest-and-drought-in-Africa types of look.

"Is there some contractual obligation?" He said.

"Ummmm...no." I replied.

He pondered. "Are you worried about the royalty situation?" He asked.

"Oh, heh, not at all! The royalty situation is great. Couldn't ask for a better deal...sir." I answered.

He pondered further. "So, you just want to create more work for yourself, sow ambiguity among your..." and here I was sure I detected a note of satire, "...vast readership, and spend time doing a form of writing which will not profit you a guinea."
He was asking Himself more than me. And He still calls them guineas, by the way. He also is not on the new system, yet...as far as I know.

I have always sensed an immanence of intentional archaism in His manner, don't you know. He sighed. "I...pffff, harrmph...well, sure. Have at it. I, or We, We mean that, well, it is your blog, right?"
I was relieved.
"It's still going to be pretty much the same thing, eh? We mean, you're not going to - how do they say it?! - become a political wonk or something bitter and nasty like that?"
I hastened to assure Him I had no such intentions.
"It's settled, then?"
"No. Not yet. I'm not sure that I'll change it yet."
He turned back to what He was doing. "Yes, yes. Such...a weighty..." and I detected that satire thing again, "...and important decision requires time...and thought.........." He was silent. Then "Ah! You still here?"
"Oh, yes. Ah, rather. Waiting for the old dismissal and obeisance and what not."
"Do you need time to get matters in order?"
I said that I did. I told him that I needed the rest of the day, maybe tomorrow, too. I was not going to pull that business about needing until Whit Sunday to make up my mind. I mean, He pulled off that Genesis: Day 1 affair in less time than it takes me to determine my breakfast menu.

"The rest of the day and the morrow, hmmm....with pay??" He asked I quavered.
"Well, that is what I had in mind. Yes." I waited. "But, if that's a problem..."
He scowled a bit, whether at me or at His quill, which seems to have split while we were talking, I am not sure.
"With pay, then." He said, gruffly.
Then He smiled briefly. " A poor excuse for picking a man's pocket."
"Eh?" I ventured. "
"I suppose you must have the whole day. Be here all the earlier next morning."
And that was that.
--

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I certainly wish I could have virtually any kind of conversation with him. I've got a lot questions I'd like to ask, but I suppose he gets them all the time and would just be annoyed.

Montag said...

The concept of Eternity seems to sort of prohibit being annoyed...or bored...or just irritated.
If you're going to be forever, you don't let the little things mess with you.