Search This Blog

Friday, February 06, 2009

Lapidary

...a small gem, a small gem-like observation or statement... As I was writing to a fellow - Baysage, to be precise - I inadvertently managed to slip something rather witty into what I was saying:

On Writing
When I was very young, writing was a joyful promiscuity! Now that I am older and wiser, writing is a long term commitment - like a devoted marriage of minds.

You see, it had to do with a sense of responsibility to one's readers about what one was writing, and how one was going about it; whether one pandered and demagogued, or whether one held oneself to a stricter code - so to speak. Well, I liked it. I am sure some future, more enlightened age will read my lapidary sayings with enthusiasm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did I just miss this, these lines? Or did I just forget they were there? Likely the latter. Anyway, I don't really think about responsibility to readers when I write. Clarity. The whole craft is about clarity. I sin often enough against this virtue be chastened in the presence of people who can achieve it even while weaving artistry.

Writing was never joyful promiscuity to me. It's work, hard work, but something I just have to do. Other writers understand.

Montag said...

Actually, you are aware of your responsibility.

Otherwise, you could very well randomly embrace the views of La Coulter or the Eminence Limbaughian.
You do not. Hence, your moral vision is fully functional, and you bear your burden of responsibility.

Clarity is a tough nut.
One needs a whole lot of input from critics in order to get clarity.
There is just too much that remains in your own mind and does not quite make the leap to the written work.........