Search This Blog

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Madama Butterfly

We went to the Met's Live HD Telecast of Puccini's Madama Butterfly on Saturday, March 7, 2009. No one warned me. I had never seen this opera before in person. Not only in person, but with this HD telecast, the viewer is very, very close to the opera; you are not off in the balcony, you are right there in media res. I almost lost control at the end of Act II. At the second intermission, I told my wife and daughter that I might not make it through Act III. It is one thing to cry and dab one's eyes and sniffle. It is quite another to break down into uncontrollable sobbing. I am sure the other patrons would rather a whole "belfry" of cellphones were ringing than have to listen to such wailing and keening.
(Recently there has been some discussion about these telecasts, pro and con. I personally think they are revolutionary in their intimacy. That is one thing hitherto missing from opera, real physical intimacy. Until now, intimacy has to be cultured by time and study, but now we are thrust into the middle of things - and Madama Butterfly is actually crying almost on my shoulder as my heart breaks and tries to find a way to solace her.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We have been to two of the HD performances--Thais and La Rondine. They are outstanding! What a boon to those of us who cannot afford or access the real Met. Indeed, I think the HD performances are better than being there. We are going to one more opera this season, Bellini's La Sonnambula. We skipped Butterfly because we've seen it about 3 times already.

I cry at movies and music. Don't think I've ever sobbed.

Montag said...

Well I was on the edge of losing it, and I don't remember when that happened last.
It was very uncomfortable. They have no right to spring such a tsunami of beauty and emotion on the unsuspecting dullards (me!) who wander in, looking for music hall antics.

I find these HD things beyond belief.
I mean, the Barber of Seville back in '07 was so overwhelming that it dismissed the Bugs Bunny rendition of Figaro from my mind forever.

And I attend for $60 less than the local opera. And I still may get dressed up, if I wish. Even though it is in the local 30-plex, I wouldn't think of attending the opera in anything but good clothes.

We are also going to Sonnambula. Probably see you there, Driftwood.

(note to all: Driftwood, Otis P.; A Night at the Opera)