Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2009

Driving With God

I've decided to start a new column-like thing for the young Christians of my audience. Aiming at a demographic of 12 to 18, I'm going to sort of frame it as if it were a Course of Automobile Driving for the young, to provide them with the moral "traffic cones" to direct their lives. So, anyway, I was driving, and God was in the passenger seat. Surprisingly, He is not much for conversation. I advise you to get used to it. He is the very opposite of those who claim to be His representatives, who cannot shut up. So, we were driving; mile after mile...quite a way. Well, it wasn't all that far - sixty miles, maybe. And I wasn't - like - taking Him anywhere. He just sort of popped by, said "Shotgun" in a quiet, yet determined way, so I said "Climb aboard." We had just passed the work area on 94 when He spoke. "You wrote about violence..." I nodded. "You know...well, probably you don't...I mean, who would tell you, right?" I said "Right ", even though I did not know to what I was giving assent, but, considering His reputation and all, I thought it a good bet. "People who see life as war,...and guns,..." I waited. "The after-life is just more obsession with guns and war..." "Fear?" I said. "Fear and worrying about other people with guns, and planning retaliation, and whether to serve vengeance hot or cold?" "Yep." We drove on in silence for a while. Finally, I had to ask, "Well, why is that? I mean, it's your Universe and all?" He laughed. "Go ask your bright guys. Apparently - according to them - I've outsourced everything to an Intelligent Design group." "Well, yeah. O.K., but that doesn't really answer my question..." He pointed towards the front of the car. "Eyes on the road, pal." Later, I stopped for gas, and wondered whether He'd chip in, but He was gone.

No comments: