Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Green Grocer's


I first met tatty_tiara at her place, where she just ended a harangue about dating by saying that when one kisses frogs, be sure that one wears protection. http://tattytiara.blogspot.com/
(I read an awful lot, and I read everything.)
A small world, indeed, for not 2 hours before this, I had been buying groceries...at Nino's...a green grocer's!

Well, I see you need a bit more to see the real connexion.
I was in the express lane, having only four or so items. One of my purchases was a bunch of fresh cilantro. The check-out girl was very fresh, young, and actually seemed to be enjoying her day. Her spirit was infectious, so I decided to play it nice, instead of nasty, brutish, and short.
She blinded me with green grocery science. She picked up the bag of cilantro with a motion I can only describe as that of Botticelli's Venus covering herself from the north wind. She placed it on the scale with a retrograde motion from head downwards, again, Botticelli. All Botticelli from here on.

She opened her mouth and said "Italian parsley?" I, of course, smiled and nodded, thinking Si. Si, bella ragazza! Then the continuity girl caught the error, gave me a swift kick in the pants, and hastily whispered No. It's supposed to be cilantro. I coughed. "Er, no. Ummm. It had better not be. It is...or it's supposed to be cilantro."
"Oh," she demurely said. "I never know how to tell them apart."
I glanced at the broad, flat leaf cilantro. It did resemble the Italian parsley, bless its chlorophyll. I tried to think of some sort of quip about how many Mexicans would be disappointed were I to show up with Italian parsley instead of cilantro, but it didn't quite come together: I had a distinct image of myself as H.W.F.Fowler standing in quad making derogatory remarks about errors in English syntax peculiar to speakers of Spanish...and I knew this particular goddess was - if anyone was - very, very liberal.
So, feeling a bit of a panic - I had been mute for a few clicks beyond what is socially acceptable - I reached out and grabbed the bag from the scale, lifted it up, and thrust my nose into it, as I imagined a milkman's horse digging into the old nose-bag at the end of a long day must do...and sniffed. "Ah," I said. "Cilantro."
I handed it back to her.
She smiled, and said that that was o.k. for me, but she couldn't put her nose into peoples' groceries to tell cilantro from Italian parsley. All very smiley...sort of reminded me of Athena's white-washed picket fence of healthy teeth. The Iliad. Very classic type of day.

I laughed and said she was right; her supervisors would hear about that right quick!
More laughter. Smiles. I mean, exactly how did I go about buying groceries for the past eons? This certainly had that all beat ten ways to Sunday!

Well, like all good things, it came to and end, and the shark-like credit card reared its ugly fin. I chose paper, not plastic...I'm sure she was ecologically minded. I signed my name with a bold, sweeping hand. We bid each other adieu, adieu, until the pantry inventory ran dry and the rocks melt wi' the sun...or something to that effect.

But, you know something? When people are that beautiful in our eyes, when they make your heart do that ticker-tape thing...... We don't really care where they stick their noses.

--

7 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I like Nino's.

I like fresh produce.

I like cilantro.

Nice.

Montag said...

I was wondering if your recent pictures were at Nino's: the fellow in front of the piles of apples.
His coat looked Nino-esque.

Unknown said...

Great post! Point of order, though, something I learned a few years ago. Paradox: the ecologically correct choice is plastic. The paper uses up far more fuel and emits far more greenhouse gases in production than plastic does.

Montag said...

Wow!
I bet SHE knew that, too. "sigh"

Ruth said...

Good to know what Baysage said about plastic. Hmm. I was wrong too.

A long time I've been pondering the beauty thing - female beauty, which seems to be a very different breed than male beauty. Of course. But I mean what makes men weak in the knees doesn't seem to be the same as what makes women so, and I don't mean the obvious anatomical differences. And even women are fascinated with the beauty of other women.

Clearly there is instinct at play, and it's all pretty primordial. But I am fascinated by it in the context of the media, the fashion industry, different cultural paradigms in different countries.

There is something sweet though, about just a simple acknowledgment of being knocked out by a beautiful woman.

Ok, I didn't say anything new. Just wanted to respond to the sweetness.

Montag said...

I think bright eyes and a nice smile and a pleasant manner work for everyone. For me, that's beauty.

The "coup de foudre", or being knocked out by simple beauty, makes us feel good and free.

The "industrial strength" beauty of the media and industry enslaves us, and makes us feel obsessed and compelled.

Thanks, Ruth. I'm glad to have a chance to think further about it.

Ruth said...

'The "industrial strength" beauty of the media and industry enslaves us, and makes us feel obsessed and compelled.'

Apt, and very well stated. Thank you for contributing to my thoughts about it with that.