Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Lilies Of The Field Again

We believe too, too much that God has nothing to do but to be mindful of us and our foibles.

We have this incredible icon of the Omnipotent and All-Loving, so really, how could we go wrong? I mean, He's always there for us, right? Lilies of the field type of deal? Even if one neither toils nor spins, the Father has us on his divine dole.
Well, consider, then, that even in the days of Jesus, farmers still cut down the lilies; lilies were weeded or harvested; lilies did not run rampant over the globe, urged on by their exceptional natures.

What we do is kids' stuff, and it is not enough. It is constant work; it is not just a constant struggle to make oneself ok with present dogma, but dogma itself is a contradiction in the realm of the Holy, for the quest never stops: there is no such thing as a full and final orthodoxy. Jesus knew it. That's why he used stories that were so hard; imagine doing nothing and putting full trust and faith in your heavenly Father!!! Imagine! He knew that the story has no end, the journey has no earth-bound goal, and if we snooze in the sleep of dogma, we loose.
--

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"The sleep of dogma" is one terrific phrase. I'm going to steal it.

Montag said...

Go for it.
The only thing similar is "Let sleeping dogmas lie", and I can't recall who said that...probably everyone.

I haven't been over to your place yet this AM to see what's going on.
Personally, being shocked and disgusted since 2002-2003 is enough.
I'm sorry to admit I had Obama-to-the-rescue fantasies, but I did. Reading back about FDR, things did move slowly and the conservatives in COngress and the Supreme Court did gut a lot of legislation...

I don't know.
But I do sense that the Conservative reaction against Obama - say in 2016 or somewhat thereafter - is what the real deal kick-over-the-house-of-cards time. We have some time left.

Unknown said...

I'm like you, my friend. I, too, harbored "Obama will save us" fantasies, which make me all the more embarrassed right now, when I behold the extent to which I've been hornswoggled. FDR only gains more in stature viewed from the perspective we've got now of Democrat-to-the-rescue.

Montag said...

The entire FDR generation was different...very much so.

Do you have any memory of Walter Reuther's plan for military aircraft production back before Pearl Harbor?

Everything was different. The head of the UAW was presenting a plan that Labor and Management could accomplish....
almost as if people that worked were really part of the people that lead the nation, instead of marginalized schnorrers, which is what we've all become...

illiterate and unread.

(my next post)