Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Future & The Past

There was a incredible show on cable: Sid Roth I think his name was,  and he was Jewish, and he was seemingly all for Yeshua as the Messiah, and he had some odd number on his show plugging his book about Islamic tradition and the Anti-Christ,  or Ad-Dajjal, as they might say in Cairo.

So I didn't turn away in disgust, but listened to it. And I learned something.
Praying, as I usually do...I really can't claim too much intelligence of my own, I asked about it all : all this End Times stuff.

And surprisingly - surprisingly for you, dear reader, although not very surprising from my point of view - I had an answer fairly quickly. It was a bit convoluted, and I'm not sure I understand it entirely quite yet, but here goes:

We shall be able to interpret the Future when we are able to interpret the Past.


In particular, remember St. Paul's saying that we shall not all die, but we shall all be changed; this indicates a certain understanding of the words of Jesus that He would return before all of the generation present at His time had passed away.


If we can correctly explain why Jesus did not return within the lifetime of the Disciple Generation in the Past, then we may correctly explain the Future.


Now, you'd think we could do this. We cannot. We can surely give opinions, but we cannot establish a necessary chain of events to explain it.
Therefore, neither are we able to foretell the Future. And we don't have a lot of luck with the Present, either.


The explanation ends with each generation seeing itself at the Center of History: each and every generation that has read Nostradamus, for example, interpret his quatrains in light of their own experience and tradition.
Why is the Center of History everywhere through time, and why does your generation see it as a walk into catastrophe?
Answer that, and you may get some smarts,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Every generation is the center of history because it's just an extension of individual ego, which cannot grasp the Eternal without being subsumed into it. Unable to grasp the Eternal means living in an eternal Now.