Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

A New Look

I thought someone had joined us, someone new. Not that we need someone new; not that we are stale, nots that our wits are jaded. No, not at all.
No, JoAnn had changed her picture, and it looks to be a swimmer in the surf, and I wish I were on the beach: the last time I was at the beach, I was at Cape May, NJ, and it was September 2009... I think Arsen mentioned something about a wildlife refuge just east of Lewes ( pronounced "lewis", just like the name), Delaware. But.. it wasn't sunny. Warm, yes. It was warm. It was 82, 84 degrees that day, but it was grey, and it was the last truly warm day of 2009... the last one I felt, at least. It didn't get that warm again until April of 2010 - talk about crazy weather!

Maybe I need a new look, retiring that old Mr. Natural of Bob Crumb's. Maybe... but what? I mean, Mr. N is pretty good, 'cause I'm always telling people where to get off, and why what I think is right, and where they make their fatal mistakes, and I told ya so! Mr. N is pretty much right there with that. Right there with that.
I always wanted to be Rotwang, the mad scientist from Fritz Lang's Metropolis. Perhaps not mad. Actually, the more I think of it, Rotwang doesn't seem to be any madder than many leaders and scientists today. You know, I sort of resent the Present, that it has become so bizarre that Dr. Caligari's Cabinet seems rational, and Mr. Hulot's Holiday makes people fidget for the lack of incoming voices and messages and texts: speak, Hulot! Speak! Mangez! Je veux dire... parlez!  The beginning scene of Four Weddings and a Funeral reminded me of Les Vacances de M. Hulot ;  a long scene of activity with no particular communication going on... other than cursing with the F word.
Where'd Hugh Grant disappear to? The world changes so fast these days.

4 comments:

AD said...

It's all the rage, don't you know. I noticed it on Facebook. People see themselves day after day and grow irritated. They change their pictures--to baby pictures, to their baby's pictures, to landscapes, to their motorcycle's portrait. The world is going crazy. We don't seem to fit in any more. Maybe we need to change our look?

Montag said...

I like it the way it is. I have never really been alive anyway, so it's all new to me now. Reborn, sir. Reborn. The Rapture came, and it took only me, Joey "Quarters" Quasarano, and about 100 people across Europe and Asia combined.
Ha! That took a number of evangelicals by surprise, I can tell you!

But I do like seeing a young lady giving the glad eye to the sun and surf... in these days of stress and trial, I like a little cup of Botticelli in the morning: Venus rising from the sea, and all that.

Just A Passerby said...

HA! That's a pic from a one-day road trip a coworker and I made back in December, from central Alabama down to Dauphin Island. It's a tiny little sandbar, basically, located just off the coast of Mobile, AL. It's home to Fort Gaines, an old military establishment that dates back to the late 1500's when the French were exploring the area.

It's the most recent trip I've made to the Gulf Coast, I came close to not going, now I'm sooo grateful that I went. We shot several snapshots of us acting silly in the surf, blissfully unaware that some 5 months later our beloved Gulf coastline would suffer an environmentally catastrophic oil spill "accident" that makes the Exxon Valdez's spill look like a teeny-tiny incident. Anyway, that's why I changed my pic, memories of what the Gulf was not so long ago and how it will never be the same again, no matter what attempts are made to clean it up over the next decade(s), etc.

http://www.dauphinisland.org/fort.htm

Montag said...

Really? That's a good story; poignant is what it is. One moment frolicking in the water, the next bathing oil-drenched sea birds.

We have a lot of sudden turns these days. It's poignant. We shall all look back and say how poignant it was, those days before the spill.
Lord, I wish I were in St. Pete Beach sitting in the Swigwam !!... about 20 years ago !