Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Glenn Beck's Rally

I know some people who went to the rally. I sent them off earlier Thursday last with a wan smile, and the wishes of a safe trip.

What do I think of it? I seek no leader among men or women: I have seen the depredations of absolute power and politics. There was no mention of politics, but who doubts that there will  be? The people I knew were Tea Party workers, on and off. They will render unto Caesar, and dismiss God to the realm of Honor, Loyalty, and Repentance. My point has always been God is here and now; there is no high level word like Honor that applies to God nor his ways. Words like "Honor" apply to describe certain punctuations of our lives - the good and honorable parts - but not God.

Honor applies to histories and stories of lives that have already elapsed, and words like "honor" sum up in a moral sack the lives of men and their steadfast actions when needed. I can think of many parts of my life to which the concept "honor" would never be mentioned: all the hours doing laundry and ironing would probably not be brought up in my eulogy to describe my loyalty, nor my time spent ion the "head" be mentioned among the list of my honorable attainments!

God has no intermittency, no punctuation - all is detail and summary at once.


ps.
As an aside, I fail to see how a nation that specifically ignores the injunction of the founder of its religion never to set aside one's wife may ever "come back to God" in any meaningful sense. Gay marriage is not the problem to a Christian; Divorce is.

No comments: