Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Hate That Was Always There

Someone once asked me if I were racist. I answered that I did not know, but I had been  born in America and lived here all my life. So what do you think?

They immediately understood what I meant.

We are in a time of hate, disguised as political difference. I know. I've lived here all my life and  I know what we are like. I remember the days past when the hatred was not acceptable where I lived and worked, and we had to find sanctuary for our racism: rather like cigarette smokers nowadays who have to huddle together in far away places.

Now we are back to breathing the second hand smoke of the racist hatred of so many of our fellow citizens. What it amazing is that they seem to assume that it is acceptable to say these things in front of us, as if no friend or acquaintance could think differently from them.

However, we were brought up in the faith that all men stand equal before God. We are firm in that faith. The cries of our wretched brethren - pitiable and afflicted as they and we all are - cannot change that faith. We believe Jesus spoke to all men as equals. To think otherwise is the work of the evil one... and evil does indeed have a face, if you have ever been so unlucky as to gaze upon it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right. What makes this time different is the approval society has bestowed on the purveyors of hate. Hell, we even pay them millions of dollars to do it.

Montag said...

If the GOP thinks it can harness hate, thinking it to be conservative disaffection from Obama's "liberal" policies, they are severely mistaken.

I know that hate will consume all who embrace it. We all know it. It is the ultimate corrosive solvent of community.