Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

Blast!

It just occured to me...! Blast it! I hate it when things that are pretty interesting as well as intricate just occur to one! It takes the wind out of one's sails, causes consternation, and makes the pilot leave the helm just as Deadman's Reef is off the port bow.

So, both Job and Noah appear as fools to their fellow men.
In this symbolic game of narratives about God, the Just are always idiots.
Suppose we repent, and the whole world - except for a few celebrities - turns to righteousness and justice; would the just still seem like idiots?

Actually, they would. They have to be; it is the logic of the narrative of God and Man. It is inherent in our understanding of the relationship of Man to the Holy that Man be corrupt and that the Just Man be a fool.
All this sets the stage for the ironic reversal where the fool is seen to be wise - not wordly wise, but infinitely wise.
Which means that if we say this is "true", we condemn ourselves to an "iffy" proposition, for we have seen that modern day fools have lost the sense of feeling comfortable with God, and they just remain fools.

Now to most of you, this seems like a discussion of how we tell our stories and spin yarns and tell tales. But for me, it is a study in consciousness, and it is a experiment in how we create the potent symbolic realm which has as much and more power over our lives than does the symbol "money".  There are symbols that are like fallen leaves, and there are symbols that are like ancient trees with deep roots into the earth.
I suppose this business about godly fools explains why God was wearing a fedora when I ran into Him a couple years ago.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

It's a relief to be a fool. No expectations for greatness.

And what did God say when you ran into him in the fedora?

Montag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Montag said...

I have a story about it somewhere in here. Anyway, He grabbed me by the shoulder, shook my hand, and said He'd been waiting for me.
It was all very pleasant... more more pleasant than the preceding half-hour or so.

We've now reached that point where people say that they can never tell whether I'm serious or not.

So....... this is part of the book I am working on (not the other project - the screenplay) that is keeping me occupied in my spare time.