Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Continuity Girl & Best Boy

 Wm. O'Reilly as The Mikado


I am always whining about the same things over and over, without actually doing anything about them beyond my own life. Well, you may say that shows true wisdom, but wise I was ere I saw Elba, to quote the French Emperor!

I have repeatedly pointed to the fact that we find it hard to follow through on things, like keeping our waterways - like the Chesapeake - clean. We are always turning out and gearing up to clean up the mess about 10 years after we had already done so, then turned our attention to the boob-tube reality of the remainder of our lives.

Now that the mighty poobahs of the Talking Dead at FOX are saying PBS should be de-funded - and I must admit that all of a sudden everything is becoming very music hall-ish, wherein Bill O'Reilly pomps and vogues about like Gilbert & Sullivan's Mikado and Hannity is Ko Ko... sort of a D'Oyly Carte Opera company of the damned! ...
I suggest that PBS be fully funded to be our country's Continuity Girl and Best Boy: to follow through on each and every story of supreme importance from beginning to end. to analyze and present and power-point us until our glazed eyes get a glint of understanding!
And it would be beyond attack by the bought-and-paid-for; i.e., our elected representatives.
It has to be, for it would provide us with CONTINUITY: reminding us we invaded country X for one set of reasons - which all turned out to be hooey - and now the war continues in X and neighbor Y for an entirely new set of reasons, none of which amount to a hill of beans in a world not populated by the Talking Dead-ites.

I was keeping the role of "best boy" for myself, but am informed that I am eminently suited for the "gaffer".

--

1 comment:

Ruth said...

And the chorus sang . . . Hear, Hear!