Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Doth not Brutus Wheatless Kneel?

Apologies to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, but it is a week since I stopped eating wheat in its various forms. Last weekend we were visiting, and I had driven for 4 hours. My usual snack is fresh pita bread, cooked that morning at the Pain D'Or ( obviously a Lebanese place! ), or Khubz adh-Dhahab: the Bread of Gold bakery. Unfortunately, this immediately causes an infestation into the Radio City Music Hall of the mind of Soeur Sourire and Domenique :

" et deux anges se presenterent portants deux grands pains d'oree.",

but you may not have been forced into memorizing it as we had been in French 1.

So, mucho muncho of el pano. Apple festival and pies and fresh doughnuts... which are the real ambrosia, I think. I can see the Greek gods sitting around pulling fresh crullers from the vat wherein boils the fat of sacrifice, and throwing  sugar on them, and voguing themselves into a miscellany of Antique poses; I believe it was a sugared doughnut that Dionysus dangled in front of the infant Hermes, a treat lost in time!

So, new locale with new allergens; it usually takes me 2 days to get over the parochial allergens when I travel; in Washington in September it took 2 days and 6 hours and 31 minutes. And a family pooch who  was in need of a bath: romping and playing and spreading one's blanket of dander.
I literally awoke each morning feeling I had been cozened by Sweet Sleep and once she had me in the alley, she had sapped me with a blackjack right on the base of the skull.

Last Sunday morning I awoke and my mind said "Stop eating wheat!" Now I have not been one of those people who are into the ways of gluten; I have not extensively researched modern wheat and its discontents, but there it was.

So a lot of corn and oats and some research into buckwheat flour and rice flour, and here I am, and I feel that 50% of my allergy symptoms have disappeared. There was a low extensive aching I felt, like a low-grade inflammation which pulsed everywhere in my body for the last 20 years at least, and it has gone. Absolutely amazing. Nothing like gluten allergy and celiac disease, but a real allergic reaction to wheat that I may have had all my life.
May have had, since my allergies seem to shape-shift every 3 years or less; June used to be Rose Fever season, but that seems to have disappeared. My immune system seems to be somewhat like the the Enterprise to the allergens Borg, and the Borg-allergens catch onto the frequency of the immune system weapons, so allergens have to "modulate their frequencies" every couple of years to be able to invade Federation space... (an extended metaphor!)

So, this message to the Allergen Collective: Resistance Is Not Futile!!

No comments: