Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Poems to Mary

A poem I wrote in 2009 to the Virgin Mary, Theotokos. Mary is a fighter for the oppressed and the poor. I realize this might offend some people, but the spiritual reality is far more ferocious than the mainstream churches lead us to believe. I pray to her now for my sister-in-law in Toronto undergoing surgery.




Kick-Ass Mary


How great the pain that pierced your heart,
Mother, when they raised Him on the cross;
ceaseless furrows of your tears record the
tsunami of your loss!
Hammer and spear, thorns and scourge,
all life from your soul did purge?

"My pain blinded everything else, I could not stand;
I admit that in my pain I cried a few
tears and screamed in my deep despair... softened
by the mound of stones I threw!
From Roman heads came blood, their cries attest:
'Get that Jew bitch! That Jewish terrorist!' "




notes:
the Virgin Mary is usually depicted as silently suffering during the passion of Jesus. However, she fought for her kids like a soldier, and drew the blood of killers. She still fights for us.
(as I explain in a comment, I tired of Mary being portrayed as Our Lady of Perpetual Victimization.)

No comments: