Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Magic



I read Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking in October.
In November, I approached Thanksgiving with a bizarre blot of a song running through my head: Didion dina, dit-on, du dos d'un dodu dindon!
If you studied French 101, you may recognize it. I was just lucky that I was not carving the "chubby turkey" - dodu dindon - with Didion and dining with her! I never would have made it past the cranberries.

Of course, when I recall the book, I refer to it as The Year of Thinking Magically which, if you were an allegorical neuron resting within the old cranium, you would immediately recognize as a collision at the intersection of Memory Lane and Cognitive Boulevard between Ms. Didion's bus and the trolley of The Year of Living Dangerously - a film starring Sigourney Weaver ( sigh...), Mel Gibson, and Linda Hunt.
( I have an entire gallery of memory devoted to Sigourney Weaver. There is an exhibit scheduled for the new year. Check at the virtual TicketMaster...no, send 25 dollars and I shall save you a ticket!)

If you were fortunate enough to have viewed A Very Long Engagement, you will recall that the character Mathilde played by Audrey Tatou was a very magical thinker, "If I reach the bend in the road before the car, Manech will return alive from the war!"

Magic can be an earnest desire for good. Magic can be a fearful obsession to deflect pain. It can also be a desire for evil - or so it seems to me when we wish damnation upon ours enemies.

Magical thinking is something we use to create our conscious world.

This is not to say that it is somehow an illusory exercise; not necessarily.

The thinking of Faith is similar to magical thinking - its images of desire are forged within our passionate hearts.
However, it exists in a conscious structure of Faith which prevents the worst excesses of magical thinking - such as believing God will give me a winning lottery ticket.

A science fiction writer whose name is not immediately on Memory Lane's corner, waiting for a lift, once said that a sufficiently advanced technology will always appear to be magic to a backward people.

We may add that a sufficiently advanced Faith will always appear to be Magic to a backward people.

--
a reprint.
I have lost any creative spark.
crying and spilled milk, what?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm glad you reprinted this. I don't believe I've read it before, and it's really wonderful. Partly because it snuggles into the thoughts I've been having about this crazy world, and magic and mystery (which were the words in my head as I fell asleep last night), and how we create our world.

I'll come back and reread this later. So good.

Montag said...

I did add the bit about "Didion dina, dit-on,..." so I'm not a complete putz nowadays.
The temp work in Ypsi is almost over, and that will be a blessing. It is a brutal grind.