Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Life

I guess I love life, dodgy as it is.

Life is sometimes like a young bride and groom buying their china pattern, then after years have gone by looking at the dulled designs, and remembering meals, parties and cleaning dishes afterwards... I remember the longing for life inherent in a cup, a plate, a salt cellar... it is as poignant as that written in a book. What wonderful dreams people have! Gazing in the concavity of a serving spoon - heirloom from my grandmother - I see not myself as I think I am, but a quaking and jittering mass of hair and eye dancing solipsistic on the pregnant plains of Venus: I have mobile and tactile cornrows in my hair 5 miles long!

May the people of Tunisia and Egypt... and all the world find happiness! God is a next-door neighbor; when we dance, He knocks on the wall and yells "More, my friends! More dancing! Stomp until the sweat runs!" When we sing, He bangs on the ceiling, saying "Louder yet! Give a roar! Let them hear you in Andromeda!"

--

2 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Excellent. I love the ending! :-D

Unknown said...

And they all shouted "Amen!" as they danced.