Search This Blog

Thursday, January 06, 2011

Parliament of Mind

I sense light within a room; a photocell senses light in the same room. I am aware of doing this and the photocell is not aware. Some say, then, the difference is consciousness, a phenomenon which no one can fully explain.

Awareness is not an extra mental faculty. I am not actually aware of the light in the room unless I enter a dark room, stumble around for a bit, bark my shins against chairs, then finally find the light switch.
Entering a lit room from another illuminated place, I am not so aware at all.
I need a reason to reflect on my actions.
Ask me a question, I'll spin you an answer.
Ask the photocell a measurement, it will give you what it has, no more.

My awareness lies within the richness of my experience, for I am not solely restricted to measuring the candle power of the light available: I can also stumble, curse, swear, imagine myself kicking you for getting me in a darkened room and searching for a light switch.
Awareness is the layering of existence. Awareness is symbol built upon symbol upon symbol. Awareness is hierarchy that is flexible and transparent.

If I wished to make an aware photocell, I would have to be able to put up with a photocell that would politic with me! It would palaver and cajole and threaten. When I asked for the level of light, it would launch into an oration about the moral meaning of Light versus Dark.
Awareness is a Congress or Parliament of Mind.

No comments: