Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Klimtian Kiss


Gustav Klimt's painting The Kiss

In my Valentine's Poem ----- and  by the way, I celebrate the day because it is my Saint's Day, one of my given names being Valentine, my great grandfather or uncle having been born on that very February 14... he had a sister named Praxidas......

Anyway, I used the word "Klimtian" to mean looking like the above.
How does one describe Klimtian objects?
Rectangular as an old grandfather clock, yet flexible and floating upon a wave of desire? Braids and cornrows of fragrant hair falling into poppies, becoming part of the flora? Tribes with flags made of masculine quilts impressed with cellular boxes and squares going in and out of order, teased by the circular feminine which overpowers homeostasis? Fixtures and moveables melting into aery gold? 
Is this Geb embracing Nut? Or are the two yet distinct... perhaps Eve is aborning from Adam's side and he is loath to let her depart; the ivy or laurel in his hair balancing the golden ivy emanating from her dress?
After our expression of love, do we relax with chocolate and coffee - the finest in Vienna? Is the coffee roasted dark with fin de siecle essence of Hapsburg; is there a chill in the air, a unseasonally early premonition of autumn and winter? Does the burning cigarette remind us of gun powder and Archdukes? Is this golden moment of combustion that of the Crown Prince Rudolf and his paramour, a self-devouring love whose ripples became the tidal wave which overthrew the Austrian Empire?

--

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I dunno fer sure.

But I posted a very intellectual response today at my blog.