Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Poona, Mumbai, Nashik in India



These three municipalities create a triangle on the western coast of India. Poona is now spelled "Pune", but the old way gives us a better idea of the pronunciation. My friends had a baby on Christmas Eve 2010. It was a boy and they named him Siddhanta. Her parents visited for a long spell, and I hung somewhat with the old man ( who was younger than I!). He lives in Pune. Most of his life and business is situated with this triangle, as he told me. Now there is this this further vertex of his life in Michigan.

So it is time to pay more attention to India.
But India is so immense! China is immense, too, but there is something about China and its coverage in the media that gives one the distinct impression that even though China is huge, there is a uniformity about it that encourages the most facile generalizations.
One cannot make such a mistake about India; India is a coat of many, many colors. When we think of India, we create imaginations of all our senses.

Just to pay attention to India... well, it is like drowning in an ocean of rubies and emeralds!

--

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people would say that what's depicted in the picture is a vibrant culture. I'm sorry. To me about nine of ten pictures of anything in India are depressing. This photo is certainly in that category.

Montag said...

You are very lucky, then. If that mob is depressing, you ain't never been in the real End-of-Times depressions!

Sometimes I would have given anything to lose my self in a river of humanity....