Search This Blog

Friday, April 01, 2011

Unreal Real

I have said that we create our reality. Whether there actually is some reality independent of the interactions of intelligent beings with the universe is a philosophical point of interest, but not that much interest.

It is a tough position to hold. However, I also held the position that there were absolutely no Weapons of Mass Destruction - nor evidence thereof - to be found in Iraq. I held that position even when Norman Podhoretz was salivating over the as yet unrealized proof of the transport of WMDs to Syria. He apparently had some satellite views of bedouin moveable wedding feasts which were misinterpreted as weapons convoys.

(1) when speaking of the mind of Crowds, my position is unassailable: crowds create their own reality.
(2) if we look closely at crowds, then smaller and smaller groups, we may find the processes by which we create reality, or by which we recognize the real.

I think I'll start with Canetti.

--

No comments: