Search This Blog

Monday, April 04, 2011

Who Shall Judge?

Shall I judge?

Looking at two events, one being ignorant and intolerant pastors, crawled from some miasmic swamp, burning books; the other being crowds of people letting themselves be blinded by passion and swayed by the wine of violent words into murder.

Which crime is worse?

I shall not judge. Let them judge themselves according to their own lives:

(1) "You shall not kill any person - for Allah has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. ....."
A rioting crowd is not a court of law or justice.

(2) In the Hadith, it is said that the Prophet forbade the killing of women and children.
At least one woman has been killed.

(3) Burning holy books is reckoned sinful by the logic of scholars, but is not forbidden in the holy scriptures themselves.

If I can not judge, if I am not myself without sin, shall I counsel one group of so-called "God-fearing" people not to do spiteful acts, lest another  group of "God-fearing" people commit murder? And where exactly do we find ourselves now, at this time in History? What is the Rock and what is the Hard Place between which we shall be broken?

--

No comments: