Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Some of the Young...



Reading Ruth's comment to my previous post, I became acutely aware that there are some young people who are aware of nothing but Post 9/11 America.
Those who were small, maybe 10 in 2001, are now 20. And what have they seen? They have seen 9/11. They have seen Afghanistan. They have seen Iraq. They have seen the Financial Crisis and the Scandals on Wall Street, they have seen what appears to be a dysfunctional political system at work...

Will the goodness of their friends and families outweigh the bad we have shown them?

--

2 comments:

Ruth said...

It could be a fault, but whenever things get worse, I keep thinking spirits get better. I don't mean we have to find good in everything, like that. Not silver linings. Just that I really think we have a way of evening things out, naturally, humanly. It's in our blood. Our spirits and souls need to survive. At least some of us. I worry about the rest though, I worry when the spirit stops wanting to rise up.

Montag said...

I see the same thing in Irony, the reversal which seems to be inherent in human history.

Childhood has stories and myths and pageants that we use to interpret events for the remainder of our lives; these are the basic narratives we add to, amend, and subtract from.
If the basic stories are tainted with fear and loathing, to my mind that is a long-term problem, and the amount of "faith" needed to overcome adversity is that much more.