Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Dog

http://news.discovery.com/animals/dogs-are-likely-born-with-canine-telepathy-110609.html


Dogs Likely Born with 'Canine Telepathy'

Dogs are so in tune with us that they can read our minds, according to a new Learning & Behavior study that also determined canines are probably born with the ability.
Practice makes perfect, however, so the more a dog hangs around humans, the better he or she becomes at "canine telepathy," which actually relies upon hyperawareness of the senses...
Interesting science here. Very interesting.
Why is it that many dogs do not seem to "get it" that certain people find them a bit dirty and annoying? Why do they not seem to apprehend that we do not care for a randomized pattern of droppings in the yard, when an orderly sequestration into one area would be preferable? If they are reading our minds, why do they not buzz off when we wish them away from the dinner table and into the cornfield?
It strikes me this is science that presupposes the reader is an "animal" person.
--
note: my point of view is warped by certain people who do not exert any sort of control over their pets.
--

4 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

Moooontag - a certain Englishman has a very beautiful new dog - go and see! (but I take from this that you are perhaps not an animal person :()

I only became one after having a cat to look after.

Montag said...

I know what you mean. A young cat adopted me with the usual come-hither-and-give-me-food behavior once, only to become remote and aloof when we had "moved in together".

Ah, well.

I am a my-own-animal person, and not a somebody-else's-animal type person. And unlike my mother (my dear mother whom I love), I do not interrupt you when you are speaking, and tell you to look at the cat or dog and see how cute they are.
My mother did that all weekend: someone would say something and she'd allow one statement to go by, perhaps smile and comment; then when some follow-up detail came along, she'd tangent off into deep space about her cat.
Her cat, loveable as he is, is not quite that fascinating.

Unknown said...

You are not an animal guy. Too bad. They do more than anything else save suffering to ground us in reality.

Montag said...

Don't pull that "animal person" stuff on me. Read the cat story in above comment.
Animals are cunning and crass ends-justifies-the-means Machiavellian politicians!

I never knew an animal that did not have an agenda; actually two agenda, the overt and the covert.
They wheedle and cajole their way into our hearts (which is pretty easy to do, come to think of it... all one has to do is put up with our constant crap: bingo! we love 'em!) and they then manipulate us unashamedly.

If animals are so bloody great, why is it that you see them all over the houses of those hoarders on TV? I mean, each obese hoarder is surrounded by flocks of animals, it seems.

I think animals are demonic "familiars", just like in the old days witches had cat "familiars" who accompanied them on their midnight rambles.
Every time you see one of those pathetic hoarders, you see a coven of familiars - cats, dogs, fishes, whatever - cluttering up the TV screen, keeping watch over the object of their demonic "possession"!!