Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Focus

 Navaho Blanket


I was talking with Baysage about focus and poetry...

When I focus on writing, I focus with great intensity. I find that by this focusing I omit a great deal from my understanding of my writing, and I only see other aspects and meaning later or when someone else points it out to me.

The poetry of Emily Dickinson is what is in my mind: she indeed is focused, but her language slips the bonds of customary usage, and by that great cry of freedom, is no longer a slave to the focus of one time and one meaning and one interpretation.

God is supposed to be all-knowing. This implies a supernatural focus, so great that it must let slip the details, and it is the details that are infinite, not the singular or several acts under God's direct interest.
To be all-knowing - and to be present everywhere in the universe - implies that the Holy is not focused on any item so intensely that it lets slip any others.

The Holy carries everything in the large woven blanket it carries to keep warm and to sleep upon. The Holy carries the knick-knacks of the universe within the backpack of that rolled up blanket. It knows everything is in the blanket, but does not need to focus on each and every item, causing It to forget where It is walking and to stumble in the Forest.
Happy creation so well loved and protected.

--

No comments: