Search This Blog

Monday, August 01, 2011

Faerie Circles

 Ruth at Synch-ro-ni-zing has a great "working-of-consciousness" (also called a "poem", from the Greek poesis = a working).
http://ruthie822.blogspot.com/2011/07/poem-moons-question.html

She incorporates an illustration from Arthur Rackham, described as Moon-Hair Woman:


I immediately recognized this lady, and commented:

She stands not far from shorelines, indicating an amphibious nature (just as the Egyptian Sphinx, or that of Boeotia in Greece).
Her footprints are the faerie rings seen within an enclave of young trees, where the grasses are gracile and tender, not rigid in structure like bulrushes and phragmites.

--

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh lovely.

And I thank you, and in turn repost my comment response to you there . . .

Thanks, Montag. Good to see you. I am allured by the sphinx, and your descriptions of her habitat. I promise that by saying I am one does not mean I will clobber anyone who tries to get past. The moon-haired lady looks pretty serene, but maybe that is the danger. At any rate, I love your language here (and elsewhere), and your close attention to my poem.

I think you know, as I have learned while in Ireland, that faerie rings are not fluffy communities of lightness of being. They are dangerously full of mischief. I think I need to explore this side of my soul a bit more ...

Montag said...

To me those circles are mysterious and potentially full of power, good or ill.

I have found the mischievous is always with me; I merely am not aware of its effects. I pretend to be otherwise.
I think we have to see it for what it is, but I myself, at least, must be very cautious about any such explorations... the wines of mischief are very strong and inebriating... they let us see very far, but our sight is rapacious.