Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

Literary America

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer."
D. H. Lawrence


I had this quote on a post about Fight Club, and I never felt entirely comfortable with it... until now, that is.
Having read part of Stieg Larsson’s The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, I see that it is spot on, at least to our souls. The book deals with  KGB sadistic rapists, bisexual girls with fetishes being raped and brutalized, and evil psychiatrists who - by the way - are pedophiles.

What a glorious Boschean depiction of Hell! And how much we enjoy it, turning the book into a phenomenal best seller! What a thrill it must be to read it!

I thought it juvenile... nasty juvenile... juvenile of the dark side, and I threw it away from me and returned it to the library, for I think it bad luck to leave such items within one's house.

The essential American reader's soul is hard, isolate, and a killer.
We are what we create with consciousness. Please stop creating echoes of evil within yourselves.

--

No comments: