Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Mel Gibson's Use of Violence

It was obvious that the violence in Apocalypto was metaphor for the degradation and decline of a civilization.
Mr. Gibson seemed to be aware of the fact that most of us miss the point of such things, so he put a quote of Will Durant's at the beginning to sort of point us in the right direction.

Now I have to watch The Passion of The Christ again, because I surely did not understand Mr. Gibson's use of violence in that film. The only thing I got from it was the use of the Aramaic preposition "baina"
meaning "between": baina_k wa baina_hum  "it is between you and between them" referring to Judas' payment for the betrayal. (We would say "between you and them" whereas Aramaic repeats the preposition.)
--

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How many languages do you speak, sir? I'm awed.

Montag said...

Oh, no. Not Aramaic. Aramaic is so very much like Arabic and Hebrew that
it is easy.
I never really looked at much in Aramaic, except "Eli, Eli, lama sabbachtani?" from the Gospels... and Mel's film.

mozeewink said...

I just saw Apocalypto for the first time a couple weeks ago. I have not enjoyed a movie that much in a long time.

Montag said...

It is very enjoyable because it is so well done and it is such a perfect fairy tale story... I mean, how perfect is it that the Spaniards land on the beach at just the right time: 2 minutes later and what's his name would have been dead.