Search This Blog

Saturday, January 07, 2012

The Sublime and the Beautiful

I have finally reached a tentative understanding * of the meaning of Edmund Burke's A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful, written in 1757. This concept is intimately involved in my comprehension of films, literature, and all forms of art, so it is a relief to come to a more intimate grasp of the ideas of Burke on this important topic dealing with what distinguishes "important" art from art which may be extremely good, but is not "important".

This stems directly form my conversation with Gil two days ago about films of the future, and why they are usually not utopian, but rather gloomy in outlook.

I do not have the time now, and hope to write it down in the next two days.
--
note
*    when I say "understanding" I mean an intimate apprehension, not a superficial one. When I was younger, when I reached such an intimate understanding, I would say that I could "taste and smell" the concepts or ideas... they became part of my being... like a marriage.

No comments: