Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Zen

I am surprised at my progress in understanding Buddhist analysis of knowledge and thought. I was talking with Ruth about it the other day; she is studying some aspect of Zen, I forget exactly what, but there's a reference around here somewhere.

Not until I read Language as Articulate Contact by John  Stewart (not the comedian John Stewart) while I was on vacation in Florida did I possess an adequate basis for understanding anything about the Buddhist critique of understanding.

Now everything has changed.
In essence, I had to come up with a way to view Language as a process totally independent of Ontology (the study of Being);i.e., language has always been viewed as being made up of words which "symbolize" or "stand for" something, thereby implying that there is something to which we are referring that exists in the world.

This is not a good analysis of language, and it is worse philosophy of Being.
--

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I don't recall what it was about either.

I don't think I told you that at the behest of my Alexander teacher, I read Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. It transformed my physiological understanding of releasing my neck (so the spine is straight). Truly, it was as if Elinore's words (my teacher) suddenly became reality in my body. Being and language were one.

The arrow hit the mark, without aiming.

Montag said...

Yes, it was about archery. I it was within the last week.

Unknown said...

I'll bet you were the sole vacationer in FL reading "Language as Articulate Contact". I'd bet a lot on it.