Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Reporting to the Captain

  USS Lyon

My father, a lieutenant in the US Navy in WW II who served on the USS Lyon, reported to his Captain Sunday at 7:30 PM.
I had just finished reading his favorite writing, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, in The Wind In The Willows. As I was reading, I was wondering whether to stop and continue on the morrow, but something would not let me. When I had finished, I sensed that I had opened a door that could not be closed, and it might be used that evening.
On leaving, I told the nurse to call me any time of the night if anything happened.
My mother and I drove 9 miles home, put out the garbage for the morning, and my cell phone rang....
--

2 comments:

AD said...

We join you in your leave-taking. Your father had a rich long life, it seems, before setting sail on the Greater Ocean...

Montag said...

Thank you, Arsen.
It has been a terribly long two months, but I think I have learned something...

I can't put it into words, however.