Search This Blog

Friday, November 08, 2013

Buddhism Etcetera

Lord Mahavira



I was talking to a friend last night about stuff, one topic being Buddhism, and he mentioned that it did not seem to have as much dogma as other religions.

Well, Indian Buddhism sure has a lot of intellectual baggage. Buddhist Logic alone would fill volumes and volumes.

I think when we speak of Buddhism, we are thinking more properly of Ch'an or Zen Buddhism, the teachings of which were popularized in the USA by the works of D.T. Suzuki.

We also spoke of Yoga, and how it has become mainstream in the USA.

I remembered that although I had never paid much attention to Yoga, I was deeply into Jaina or Jainism when I first met this friend.
I meditated upon the victory of the fifth Tīrthaṅkara, Sumati, and sought to prepare myself for the great crossing. I also meditated upon the wisdom of the Naga Raja, the Lords Mahavira and Pārśva. Later I added the Lord Buddha to my meditations.
I remember now very distinctly, because I meditated while I ran down to the lakeshore and back, summer and winter, and I recall the Lord Sumati in the midst of the icy exhalations...

It is good to remember old friends.

--

No comments: