Search This Blog

Friday, December 13, 2013

Full Metal Jacket On Hearts And Minds

 Tet, 1968


I am watching Full Metal Jacket while my computer backs up. I just heard the quote "winning hearts and minds".
Jacket is about 'Nam, the Tet Offensive of 1968, and was released in 1987.

I am sure that I have heard about winning hearts and minds about Iraq and Afghanistan.

I like a well defined policy that works.

We have a nation's capital that is referred to as "Hate City" because of the political acrimony that exists there, we have just had a government shutdown because of our inability to work together, and we have just seen the Democrats in the Senate change the rules on majority votes on presidential nominees with a Republican response that they would get even.

Where did we learn how to win hearts and minds?
We can't even stand each other.
If we truly believe over the past 50 years that the only Americans that can win hearts and minds are Marines and the military, we have an interesting future ahead of us.

--

No comments: